Once Upon a Time presents Brian Selznick - THE MARVELS at Lanterman Auditorium
BRIAN SELZNICK - THE MARVELS
Offsite event at the Lanterman Auditorium in La Canada
From the Caldecott Medal–winning creator of The Invention of Hugo Cabret and Wonderstruck comes a breathtaking new voyage.
In this magnificent reimagining of the form he originated, two stand-alone stories—the first in nearly 400 pages of continuous pictures, the second in prose—together create a beguiling narrative puzzle.
The journey begins on a ship at sea in 1766, with a boy named Billy Marvel. After surviving a shipwreck, he finds work in a London theatre. There, his family flourishes for generations as brilliant actors until 1900, when young Leontes Marvel is banished from the stage. Nearly a century later, Joseph Jervis runs away from school and seeks refuge with an uncle in London. Albert Nightingale's strange, beautiful house, with its mysterious portraits and ghostly presences, captivates Joseph and leads him on a search for clues about the house, his family, and the past.
A gripping adventure and an intriguing invitation to decipher how the two narratives connect, The Marvels is a loving tribute to the power of story from an artist at the vanguard of creative innovation. The multi-media, interactive presentation will include a book signing.
About the Author: Brian Selznick is the Caldecott Medal-winning author and illustrator of New York Times bestsellers Wonderstruck and The Invention of Hugo Cabret, which was adapted into Martin Scorsese's Oscar-winning movie Hugo. Selznick's books have garnered countless accolades worldwide, and have been translated into over 35 languages. He has worked as a set designer, independent bookseller and a puppeteer. He lives in San Diego, California, and Brooklyn, New York.
- (NEW)VIP Ticket price is $40 per FAMILY UNIT - ticket includes ONE hardcover copy of The Marvels and entrance for family unit of up to 5. Those that prepay for book will receive a $5 coupon and be entered into drawing for a Marvels diarama.
- General admission to see the presentation is free. However, no outside books allowed unless purchased from Once Upon a Time. (bring receipt)
- No audio or video recording of Brian Selznick's presentation will be permitted.
- Still photographs (no flash) are allowed during the book signing.
- Doors open at 6:30 pm. People with Pre-paid VIP ticket numbers will be in the RESERVED VIP seating in the front. Stadium seating for general admission.
- Signing line order is based on ticket number. You must have a ticket to be included in the signing line.
- Due to time constraints only books will be signed. Memorabilia will not be permitted for signing.
- Brian Selznick will personalize books, time permitting.
- Only books bought from Once Upon a Time will be signed. Keep your receipt. In addition to The Marvels, up to FIVE books, per ticket, may be signed.
*Please note that these guidelines are subject to change at the time of the event depending on the size of the crowd*
Tickets can be purchased in-store or over the phone by calling 818-248-9668. See store hours. No discounts or frequent buyer club apply.Tickets and books will also be available for purchase at the event, though advance purchase is highly recommended. VIP Tickets and books will also be available at Will Call on Monday, November 2, 5:30 pm, at the auditorium.
CAN'T MAKE IT? If you'd like a personalized book but are unable to make the event, please call us at 818-248-9668 to pre-pay and we'll have one or more copies signed and reserved for you or shipped anywhere in the United States.
While Dolssa runs from those who would burn her at the stake as a heretic, fellow travelers must decide whether to hide her or turn her in. The author makes you believe you're in pre-Inquisition Provence and the story adn characters stay with you for days afterwards. Powerful story of taking a stand for your beliefs and the makings of friendship. - Nikki