The Inheritance: A Charles Lenox Mystery (Charles Lenox Mysteries #10) (Hardcover)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 10 in the Charles Lenox Mysteries series.
- #1: A Beautiful Blue Death: The First Charles Lenox Mystery (Charles Lenox Mysteries #1) (Paperback): $17.99
- #2: The September Society (Charles Lenox Mysteries #2) (Paperback): $17.99
- #3: The Fleet Street Murders (Charles Lenox Mysteries #3) (Paperback): $17.99
- #4: A Stranger in Mayfair: A Mystery (Charles Lenox Mysteries #4) (Paperback): $17.99
- #5: A Burial at Sea: A Mystery (Charles Lenox Mysteries #5) (Paperback): $17.99
- #6: A Death in the Small Hours: A Mystery (Charles Lenox Mysteries #6) (Paperback): $17.99
- #7: An Old Betrayal: A Charles Lenox Mystery (Charles Lenox Mysteries #7) (Paperback): $17.99
- #8: The Laws of Murder: A Charles Lenox Mystery (Charles Lenox Mysteries #8) (Paperback): $17.99
- #9: Home by Nightfall: A Charles Lenox Mystery (Charles Lenox Mysteries #9) (Paperback): $17.99
- #11: The Woman in the Water: A Prequel to the Charles Lenox Series (Charles Lenox Mysteries #11) (Paperback): $17.99
- #12: The Vanishing Man: A Charles Lenox Mystery (Charles Lenox Mysteries #12) (Paperback): $17.99
- #13: The Last Passenger: A Charles Lenox Mystery (Charles Lenox Mysteries #13) (Hardcover): $27.99
- #14: An Extravagant Death: A Charles Lenox Mystery (Charles Lenox Mysteries #14) (Hardcover): $27.99
A USA TODAY BESTSELLER
A mysterious bequest of money leads to a murder in this new novel in the critically acclaimed and bestselling series whose last installment The New York Times called “a sterling addition to this well-polished series.”
Charles Lenox has received a cryptic plea for help from an old Harrow schoolmate, Gerald Leigh, but when he looks into the matter he finds that his friend has suddenly disappeared. As boys they had shared a secret: a bequest from a mysterious benefactor had smoothed Leigh’s way into the world after the death of his father. Lenox, already with a passionate interest in detective work, made discovering the benefactor's identity his first case – but was never able to solve it.
Now, years later, Leigh has been the recipient of a second, even more generous bequest. Is it from the same anonymous sponsor? Or is the money poisoned by ulterior motives? Leigh’s disappearance suggests the latter, and as Lenox tries, desperately, to save his friend’s life, he’s forced into confrontations with both the most dangerous of east end gangs and the far more genteel denizens of the illustrious Royal Society. When someone close to the bequest dies, Lenox must finally delve deep into the past to uncover at last the identity of the person who is either his friend’s savior – or his lethal enemy.
About the Author
Charles Finch is the USA Today bestselling author of the Charles Lenox historical mysteries, which begin with A Beautiful Blue Death. His contemporary novel The Last Enchantments, is also available from St. Martin's Press.
Finch received the 2017 Nona Balakian Citation for Excellence in Reviewing, from the National Book Critics Circle. His essays and criticism have appeared in the New York Times, Slate, Washington Post, and elsewhere. He lives in Los Angeles.
“A detailed and engrossing murder plot . . . a skillfully drawn social portrait of the late 1800s . . . Finch conjures the palpable excitement of the day over such groundbreaking developments as the telegraph and electricity, as England—and the rest of the world—stand on the brink of great change.” —BookPage.com
“The upper-class amateur sleuth, an endangered species even in historical mysteries, is very much alive in Charles Finch's charming Victorian whodunits.” —The New York Times Book Review
"Finch is a clever plotter and assiduous researcher. Like Anthony Trollope, he is an insider’s outsider. If you are a mystery addict seeking an escape hatch from the 21st century, check out this series by an elegant writer at the top of his form." —Seattle Times
"A thick, leisurely, British detective novel, studded with memorable characters like raisins in a fruitcake." —Hallie Ephron, The Boston Globe
“A delight! . . . It's a rare accomplishment to make a murder so charming and a detective so compelling. Bravo Mr Finch . . . more Lenox, please.” —Louise Penny, author of A Great Reckoning
A read-aloud masterpiece, with stunning watercolor visuals, rhyme and rhythm, so perfect for young readers, this is an instant Halloween classic that will be shared for years to come. With a lightness in spirit, step and color, Grimly’s young girl carries us with her on her magical odyssey filled with a plethora of friendly bumps in the night. With a SWOOSH and a WHOOO, this is one shivery delight! - Reviewed by Maureen