Fire Sale (Abridged / MP3 CD)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 12 in the V.I. Warshawski Novels series.
- #1: Indemnity Only (V.I. Warshawski Novels #1) (Compact Disc): $65.97
- #2: Deadlock (V.I. Warshawski Novels #2) (Compact Disc): $65.97
- #3: Killing Orders: A V.I. Warshawski Novel (V.I. Warshawski Novels #3) (Mass Market): $10.99
- #4: Bitter Medicine (A V.I. Warshawski Novel #4) (Paperback): $10.99
- #5: Blood Shot (V.I. Warshawski Novels #5) (Compact Disc): $65.97
- #6: Burn Marks (Compact Disc): $19.99
- #7: Guardian Angel (MP3 CD): Not available
- #10: Total Recall (V.I. Warshawski Novels #10) (Abridged / Compact Disc): $10.99
- #11: Blacklist (A V.I. Warshawski Novel #11) (Mass Market): $7.99
- #13: Hardball (A V.I. Warshawski Novel #13) (Paperback): $9.99
- #14: Body Work (A V.I. Warshawski Novel #14) (Paperback): $10.99
- #15: Breakdown (A V.I. Warshawski Novel #15) (Paperback): $10.99
- #16: Critical Mass (A V.I. Warshawski Novel #16) (Paperback): $9.99
- #17: Brush Back (A V.I. Warshawski Novel #17) (Paperback): $10.99
- #20: Shell Game: A V.I. Warshawski Novel (V.I. Warshawski Novels #20) (Paperback): $16.99
V. I. Warshawski may have left her old South Chicago neighborhood, but she learns that she cannot escape it. When V. I. takes over coaching duties of the girls' basketball team at her former high school, she faces an ill-equipped, ragtag group of gangbangers, fundamentalists, and teenage moms, who inevitably draw the detective into their family woes.
Through young Josie Dorrado, V. I. meets the girl's mother, who voices her worries about sabotage in the little flag manufacturing plant where she works. The biggest employer on the South Side, discount-store behemoth By-Smart, pays even less, and Ms. Dorrado doesn't know how she'll support her four children if the flag plant shuts down.
The elder Dorrado's fears are realized when the plant explodes; V. I. is injured and the owner is killed. As V. I. begins to investigate, she finds herself confronting the Bysen family, who own the By-Smart company. Founder William "Buffalo Bill" Bysen, now in his eighties, has four sons who quarrel with each other and with him; the oldest, "Young Mr. William," is close to sixty and furious that his father doesn't cede more power to him. And then, there's "Billy the Kid," Young Mr. William's nineteen-year-old son, whose Christian idealism puts him on a collision course with his father, his grandfather, and the company as a whole.
When Billy runs away with Josie Dorrado, V. I. is squeezed between the needs of two very different families. As she tries to find the errant teenagers, and to track down a particularly cruel murderer, her own life is almost forfeit in the swamps that lie under the city of Chicago.
Spin the Dawn was a book full of history and powerful feminist characters. An unusual book with an interesting set of tasks to be conquered. A great book for a curious reader. Fun, crazy, and mysterious characters make the characters storng and full of secrets. An exciting read! Great for everyone 14 and up. Kaitlyn R., customer age 14