Deadlock (V. I. Warshawski #2) (MP3 CD)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 2 in the V. I. Warshawski series.
- #1: Indemnity Only: A V. I. Warshawski Novel (Mass Market): $7.99
- #3: Killing Orders (Compact Disc): This book is never available from our store
- #5: Blood Shot: A V. I. Warshawski Novel (Mass Market): $8.79
- #6: Burn Marks: A V. I. Warshawski Novel (Mass Market): $8.79
- #7: Guardian Angel: A V. I. Warshawski Novel (Mass Market): $9.89
- #8: Tunnel Vision: A V. I. Warshawski Novel (Mass Market): $9.89
- #9: Hard Time: A V. I. Warshawski Novel (Mass Market): $8.79
- #10: Total Recall: A V. I. Warshawski Novel (Mass Market): $8.79
- #11: Blacklist (Abridged / MP3 CD): This book is never available from our store
- #14: Body Work (V. I. Warshawski #14) (MP3 CD): $10.99
- #15: Breakdown (V. I. Warshawski #15) (Abridged / Compact Disc): $10.99
- #16: Critical Mass (V. I. Warshawski #16) (Abridged / Compact Disc): $13.19
- #17: Brush Back (Compact Disc): This book is never available from our store
Deadlock, V. I. Warshawski's second case, involves the huge Great Lakes shipping industry. Once again the subject is murder -- this time the "accidental death" of Boom-Boom Warshawski, an ex-hockey star and V. I.'s beloved cousin, who fell -- or was pushed -- off a rain-slicked pier on Chicago's busy waterfront. Convinced that Boom-Boom was in fact killed because of information he had uncovered about criminal doings on the shipping lines, V. I. begins a long and frustrating search for her cousin's murderer. In the course of an investigation that takes her to a remote Canadian port city and a calamitous trip on a sabotaged freighter, V. I. finds all too many possible candidates for the killer, including a grain company executive involved in extortion; and rival heads of two shippers, one of whom is being blackmailed for his criminal past; a hockey player whose specialty is graft; and Boom-Boom's lover, an icily beautiful dancer with expensive tastes in men and merchandise.
This utterly charming debut by Julie Abe will win the hearts of young readers and parents alike with its tale of a semi-magical witch sent on a quest to earn her Novice Witch rank. With a “wink” to angel Clarence of It’s A Wonderful Life, who was sent to earth to get his wings, Abe’s young Eva Evergreen has her mission “to always do good”, for her adopted village of Auteri and to guard and protect the village from the all-dreaded Culling. With only a minimal amount of magic in her arsenal, she uses her strong mechanical and repair abilities to make up for what she lacks in powerful magic. Eva calls on her new found friends of Auteri in this race-to-the-finish adventure that has more story left to tell. This will be one terrific real aloud as well as an accessible tale to delight newly independent readers. Julie Abe is an author to watch!