The Real Play Revolution: Why We Need to Be Silly with Our Kids – and How to Do It (Paperback)
In a world of technology, product marketing, and unending messaging, there is a need to liberate the imagination, re-sow the seeds of creativity—and start a Real Play revolution! Real Play needs no expertise, qualifications, or equipment beyond what can be found about the house—just a genuine interaction between grown-ups and children.
Accessible, engaging, and fun, this book offers techniques and play ideas developed by Ash Perrin through his work at the Flying Seagull Project, making a passionate case for the importance of play in children’s lives. The Real Play Revolution is a treasure trove of fantastic, unexpected, and effective play ideas, from step-by-step activities such as:
• Kids Comedy Corner: tell jokes together as a family
• Home-Made TV: make your own TV—then watch it!
• Circus Skills Workshop: hoola-hoop, juggling balls, spinning plates, etc.
Plus, there are easy methods for fixing bad moods—in both kids and adults!
• One-Minute Madness Miracle: the first one to get nowhere wins.
• Turkey Head Grump Crown: who can continue to feel annoying with a turkey on their head?
All suggestions can be adapted to work with one child to a whole classroom. Featuring fun line drawings to clarify step-by-steps, The Real Play Revolution is a practical, much-needed guide to help grown-ups share silliness, laughter, and fun with kids.