Postponed - SCBWI: LA Writer's Day 2020
The Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) Los Angeles chapter will host:
PURE GOLD! Discover the Words Worth Keeping
Experience your own ‘Eureka!’ moment with tricks and techniques to make those manuscripts shine. A dazzling morning of inspirational keynotes is followed by an afternoon of informational breakouts. Countless opportunities for those seeking to dig deeper or simply polish to perfection.
1. Special Feature: Friday, March 27th, 2020: Pre-event Masterclass with Harold Underdown: only 25 spaces available. Includes a free social hour with renowned master craftsman, Harold. Separate registration and fee required for the Masterclass. You do NOT need to register for Writers Day in order to register for the Masterclass. Click here for more information.
2. Agent pitch session
3. Written faculty review of your first 10 pages (deadline January 31st, 2020)
4. Writing contest (deadline January 24th, 2020)
5. Illustration contest
6. Instagram contest
7. Door prizes
8. Free parking
9. Lunch included
Click for information about:
Please note: Two different volunteers are tracking the writing contest and the fee-based manuscript reviews. Therefore, your manuscript must be submitted to BOTH (at the appropriate email addresses) if you wish to participate in both.
The Top Ten Things You Need to Know About Children’s Publishing Today
It’s TOTALLY Personal: Character Motivation is Everything
The Transformative Power of Story
To register or for additional information, refer to the official SCBWI Los Angeles website
– Member Early Bird Special (members only, before January 24th 11:59 p.m.): $120
– Non-Member Early Bird Special (before January 24th 11:59 p.m.): $150
– Regular Member (after January 24th): $135
– Regular Non-Member (after January 24th): $165
– 10% discount will automatically apply for Student SCBWI members at check out.
Once Upon a Time is proudly supplying the books for this wonderful writing event in our community.
Want to stay updated about our latest events?
This utterly charming debut by Julie Abe will win the hearts of young readers and parents alike with its tale of a semi-magical witch sent on a quest to earn her Novice Witch rank. With a “wink” to angel Clarence of It’s A Wonderful Life, who was sent to earth to get his wings, Abe’s young Eva Evergreen has her mission “to always do good”, for her adopted village of Auteri and to guard and protect the village from the all-dreaded Culling. With only a minimal amount of magic in her arsenal, she uses her strong mechanical and repair abilities to make up for what she lacks in powerful magic. Eva calls on her new found friends of Auteri in this race-to-the-finish adventure that has more story left to tell. This will be one terrific real aloud as well as an accessible tale to delight newly independent readers. Julie Abe is an author to watch!